Re: /usr/local, /var and */tmp in c:\Users\Public

On Nov 13 15:20, Warren Young wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2014, at 3:09 PM, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>
> > Did you install for "just you",
>
> I just made a fresh install into c:\zz, accepting all the defaults in setup.exe, so it installed for everyone.  I got the same result as my preexisting install.
>
> Perhaps this is helpful:
>
> $ id
> uid=1000(Warren) gid=513(None) groups=513(None),559(Performance Log Users),545(Users)
>
> Apparently I am a member of both None and Users, whatever that means.

That's normal.  No idea what "they" thought by introducing the local
"None" group.  It's your primary group with every local SAM account,
unchangable in the user management.

> > or in a non-elevated Setup?
>
> I did these tests on a Windows 10 technical preview VM with UAC left
> in its default setting.  I did get the blue and yellow UAC dimmed
> desktop dialog when running setup.exe, so I assume it managed to
> elevate itself.

Weird.  I wonder why the ACL doesn't contain your primary group.  Setup
installs all files with explicit ACL containing entries for you, your
primary group, and "Everyone".

Corinna

Red Hat