Re: Exitcode is 0 when killing a cygwin initiated process via taskmanager

>> If it is similar in GNU/Linux we have a general problem I suppose. If it is a cygwin
>> thing, it is a feature which behaves different to the real posix world?!

> Cygwin is a POSIX environment executing within the Windows OS environment.
>  If things happen outside of the Cygwin environment it cannot  detect those.
>  You must train your users to not use the Windows Task Manager to kill the process outside of the Cygwin environment.

> The problem does not exist in Linux because there isn't an environment inside an environment so there isn't a chance
> to use the tools improperly.

Ok I wrote a wrapper and check stdout of critical commands. If I get
returnvalue 0 but not expectet stdout I panic. As far as my critical
part is rsync that is a safe bet (there is a nice footer when rsync
was not interrupted).

As far as robustness is concerned I must say I am happy having found
this edge very early.

What do you think is that topic worth an entry in FAQ/Documentation?
On the other hand this thread will be found through google search...

Thanks again for being supportive and all your work!

lopiuh

keywords: cygwin returnvalue errorcode taskmanager exitcode process
kill end continue zero errorvalue unset