Re: Never ending SSHD story: offering public key terminates connection

Hi Larry!

01/03/2015 06:44 AM, ext Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> use ssh-user-config

The manual key creation doesn't do any harm, because the problem is obviously on the server side. To see this I did all the testing running the client on a remote machine, no difference in symptoms.

> Don't use 'ssh-host-config -y'.

I don't quite understand: what answers should I give to the script?
If there is any question which should not be answered by "yes", please explain which question and what should be the answer.

> Drop the flag "-y" ... so that you get a proper password.

As a matter of fact even with the "-y" flag the script asks for the password for the new user, "xx" is the "proper password" I'm using (there are no seciruty concerns in my setup)

> If you don't have a "root" in your '/etc/group' file...

I do have it, here is the very first line from the file:
root:S-1-5-32-544:0:

> If that doesn't work, you may have gotten caught by permissions settings as > a result of having the sshd service improperly started by the SYSTEM user.

It seems to me that SYSTEM user needs a security capability to call "seteuid". Being a member of "Administartors" group doesn't seem to be enough Alas I don't know which capability needs to be added I found a UI program called "Local Security Policy", but I don't know which of those properties is/are needed for "seteuid" call

> you could just wipe out your
> installation and start over

I do it every day many times anyway, including fresh windows installation (as I described in one of the previous messages). Very frustrating the whole business.

Ilya