Re: Force "ls" to show .exe extension

Andrey Repin <anrdaemon <at> yandex.ru> writes:
>> I'm wading through many files in two file trees.  In particular,
>> I'm looking at corresponding directories in the two trees where
>> "diff -qr" revealed differences.  I want the absolute truth of what
>> the filename is with minimal distrations about how to achieve that.
>> Then, I can focus on figuring how those files came about, and how
>> the differences arose.
>
> Use more appropriate tools.  I.e. Far manager have standard
> file/directory comparison plugin.  Which can quickly compare paths
> and or contents of the files.  However, it will not show differences
> inside files, only show that they are different, but you can always
> augment it with view:<? diff -x "CVS" -x ".svn" -I "\$Id.*\$" -I
> "\$Revision.*\$" -I "\$Date.*\$" -I "\$Author.*\$" -I "\$URL.*\$"
> !?$UnixDiff$Options ((-c, -b etc.)):?! --strip-trailing-cr --
> "!#!\!.!" "!^!\!.!"
>
> P.S.  I'm not saying that this can not be achieved with Cygwin
> tools, but even then, using "ls" to compare files one by one is
> hardly efficient.

Andrey, I appreciate the awareness that you gave of Far Manager, but
I'm going to have to say that in this case, it's not the most suitable
course of action.  We're a locked down shop, so installing new tools
is problematic.  Even if it was available, however, the prevailing
environment is that committing time to explore new tools is carefully
weighed against what else is not being done.  I realize that the
latter doesn't fly very well in an open forum in which people freely
donate their time to help, but it is a reality that can't be changed
for many.  Finally, if Far Manager were installable, whether to give
it a try would be weighed against the fact that a lot more ls is being
used in figuring how differences between file trees.  It's actually a
small part, and I was just giving a bit of context around it.

Nevertheless, as I said, I appreciate the extra awareness of that
tool.