RE: Stack Dump Message

> From: Ameen Sayegh
>
> hello there,
>
> I already asked the question on [stack
> overflow](http://stackoverflow.com/q/27943489/2318073) but I didn't quite get
> the answer I want.

Why make us look?

<quote>
I'm using Cygwin to compile my C programs

I created a program that will call abort whenever an error occurs.

when I run the program from Cygwin Terminal the function produces the following output:

Aborted (core dumped)
but If I run the program from Windows CMD or Explorer it produces the following:

      0 [main] test 1904 cygwin_exception::open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to test.exe.stackdump
Can I change the message to the first format? How?

because the second format is very ugly and I can't tell if this is a bug in the program (e.g: Access Violation, Divide By Zero,...) or the abort function>

and why do I get different messages even though the build is the same?

Note: Please, Don't tell me not to use the abort function or the Cygwin compiler
</quote>

> Here is the issue:
> abort function produces the output
>     "Aborted (core dumped)"
> when I run the program on cygwin terminal while it produce
>     " 0 [main] test 1904 cygwin_exception::open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack
> trace to test.exe.stackdump"
> when I run it on Windows CMD or Windows Explorer. Why is that? and Can I
> change it to the first format?

Different runtime environments are likely to do different things; the likely difference is that Windows doesn't understand the signal of the SIGABRT and Cygwin does.

> I can't read the source code to figure out what exactly is going on because such
> projects are bigger than my skills but I tried though and I found that the abort
> function is sending SIGABRT signal but couldn't find the signal handlers I hope
> someone will help me with this.

Not likely to change; this isn't something that we should care about.

--
cyg Simple