Re: Very slow Cygwin startup on Windows 7

On Feb  9 11:12, Dennis Hagarty (dehagart) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been a long-time Cygwin user and become quite dependent on it.
>
> So, I'm in a bit of a pickle since I did an update from a mirror site today, and now my Cygwin window startup takes about 3-4 MINUTES (it was < 2 seconds before).
>
> I'd been using it and all was well, and then the update seemed to 'do' something which results in this behaviour (there were quite a few updates).
>
> I have been through the archives and tried what I could find - It's certainly nothing to do with bash completion.
>
> Login from a remote machine to my Cygwin-enabled device is normal.
>
> Also, I can start multiple minitty sessions from one Cygwin window and it's almost instantaneous.
>
> But clicking on the desktop icons requires a multi-minute wait.
>
> Any ideas where to start?
> The daemons/services seem to be fine.
> There are no entries in the event log.
> There are no resources being consumed.
> I've taken out my .rc and profiles files and no difference.
>
> I'm happy to go digging, but I need a pointer of where to dig.

Does changing /etc/nsswitch.conf help?  If the file doesn't exist,
what if you create it and then set the passwd and grouip entries

  passwd: files
  group: files

Then start another mintty via the desktop shortcut and see if it
starts faster.

If that's the problem, you seem to have a slow or unusable connection to
your DC.  Unfortunately you stripped almost all usable information from
your cygcheck output, like environment variables, etc.

Corinna

Red Hat