Re: Too Many Permissions Stripped In 1.7.35?

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> Having discussed this, I can understand that it may be desirable to
> skip the permissions of the SYSTEM account in these circumstances:
>
> - Computing the POSIX ACL mask and default mask value and thus in
>   the permission mask as printed by `ls -l'.
>
> - Changing SYSTEM permissions when calling chmod, unless SYSTEM is the
>   file's owning group.
>
> Changing this in the code is pretty straightforward. but I'm not willing
> to add another mount option for this behaviour.  Either Cygwin ignores
> SYSTEM in the aforementioned circumstances or it doesn't.
>
> Crucial vote starting... now.

Given these constraints, I don't think we should treat SYSTEM special
(if we'd start doing that there'd be other cases that could or should be
treated special, maybe depending on further conditions).  Mounting with
posix/acl then makes Cygwin try to conform to POSIX semantics as much as
possible and potentially strip off ACL permissions when using chmod.
You will need to keep mounting with noacl to avoid that.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: