RE: bash.exe: *** fatal error - add_item ("\??\C:\cygwin", "/", ...) failed, errno 1

That was helpful! I have stopped trying rebase combinations and looking for something else...

Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Corinna Vinschen
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2015 12:04 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: bash.exe: *** fatal error - add_item ("\??\C:\cygwin", "/", ...) failed, errno 1

On Mar  5 15:40, Vladimir Sakharuk wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have found similar issues, but did not find solution that worked for me. Looking for help.
>
> I am trying to run applications on windows cluster.
> I am getting random crashes like bellow.
> However most of the times it works. I assume around 1% of starts fails. Starting it is again usually succeed.
> I suspected that it was forking issue, but cygwin's rebase did not help.
> I did rebase after server reboot with no Cygwin apps running. (BTW, Is
> there any way to check if rebase successful?)

That's not a rebase problem.  It's apparently a concurrency problem of sorts.  While pulling up the per-user shared memory region, two or more processes are trying to set up the same mount points.

This is not supposed to happen.  Only the first process actually
*creating* the per-user shared memory is supposed to create the mount points.  The OS tells a process if it created or just opened a shared memory region, but for some reason both processes seem to think they created the shmem region and one of them then stumbles of the EPERM condition trying to create the root mount point twice.

> Thank you for suggestions.

I don't have a sugggestion, in fact.  Again, this error condition was supposed to be impossible, but somehow it isn't in your cluster setup.

Corinna

Red Hat