Re: stdbuf (coreutils)

On 03/05/2015 07:38 AM, kaefert@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I've installed cygwin on a Windows Server 2008 R2 and found that the
> uncluded coreutils don't seem to include the utility "stdbuf" to force
> tools to not buffer their when they are piped to other tools (instead
> of printed directly)
>
> I found that there is a commit with the comment "enable stdbuf" from
> 2015-02-06 which from its contents looks like its part of the cygwin
> update package coreutils-8.23-5
> http://ehc.ac/p/cygwin-ports/coreutils/ci/41db3dd6ed8d004e60b3005a9199e81306291b8c/

Yes, I'm aware of that patch.

> When I look through the package list on my cygwin installation I only
> find coreutils-8.23-4 - so 8.23-5 seems to not yet be available (at
> least not on the by me quite randomly selected repository server).

Correct - for now, it is only in cygwin-ports.

> I've also found older mentionings of stdbuf in cygwin:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2009-06/msg00097.html
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00042.html
>
> Now my question: How do I get stdbuf available in my cygwin
> installation? will it be part of the coreutils-8.23-5 update? Is it
> available already somewhere, or if not, is there an ETA?

I'll be making an update when I get enough free time to work on it. I
may actually number it 8.23-6 to avoid conflicts with the cygwin-ports
build, or even wait for upstream 8.24 to happen first, but it is on my
list to get done (the problem with doing things on free time is that
there is never enough free time).

> Thank you for this great contribution to the open-source world (cygwin)!

Always nice to hear things like this.