Re: git fails to push

On 2015-03-16 22:45, Warren Young wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2015, at 5:50 PM, Peter Rosin <peda@lysator.liu.se> wrote:
>>
>> To file:///cygdrive/x/some path/with spaces/repo.git
>
> You shouldnât be doing anything shared-database-like to a network drive.  Network file sharing protocols typically either A) do not do locking correctly, or B) they run slow as molasses in order to provide proper locking semantics.  Since almost no one is willing to accept option B), you usually get option A).

Even if you claim that I shouldn't do something and then list a couple
of reasons for that, you have no way of knowing if these reasons apply
or if the alternative is even worse.

I am the only person who has ever pushed to the repo in question.
Speed is not an issue, I push fairly seldom. The code base is stable.

> I think if you set Git up on the server using one of the supported server protocols [*] your problem will go away.

You almost make it sound like file:// isn't a supported server protocol.
Isn't it? If not, why is it listed under "Git on the Server" and why
is NFS mounts mentioned?

I realize that you are trying to help me work around the problem, but
finding a workaround isn't my motivation for posting here (I have a big
enough toolbox to find plenty myself). In fact, I don't think the real
problem is in the git code base. It feels more like some generic file
access race that manifests itself as freshly created files not being
found, or something like that.

Cheers,
Peter