Re: static vs. shared linking

On 31/03/15 10:05, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Mar 30 20:15, David Stacey wrote:
Back to the matter in hand - I don't suppose you had thoughts on why my
simple application crashes when linked as shared, but works fine when linked
statically?
No, sorry.  This may be a c++11 thingy which requires "something" in
libstdc++ and Cygwin, but I don't know what that could be.  It's
especially weird that free() aborts.  This points to some malloc/free
inconsistency, as if the malloc (or new) call used another
implementation of malloc than the aborting free call.  It may also
be a memory overflow issue but that would show up on other platforms
as well.

Thanks for your reply. Ah well, worth a try. I'm going to keep plugging away at this. My next goal is to produce a C++ example that doesn't require the STL, and after that maybe an example in plain C. Reducing the amount of code and eliminating number dependencies should help us see what's going on more clearly.

I'll post back here if and when I make more progress.

Dave.