Re: setfacl can kill a drive

On 8. 4. 2015 12:17, Steven Penny wrote:
> Also I discovered this
>
>     $ setfacl -b /cygdrive/c
>
> After that you get this
>
>     C:\ is not accessible.
>     Access is denied.
>
> Luckily this was in a virtual machine. Otherwise, can this be undone? This is
> very dangerous, and I feel it should be protected similarly to
> "rm --no-preserve-root"

The root of the C drive should be easy to fix, as most of the directories there don't inherit its permissions. You should be able to use Windows Explorer to fix the permissions, but maybe takeown and icacls will be more precise tools for this task. This is the ACL for my C root:

C:\> icacls .
. NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(F)
  BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F)
  NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(OI)(CI)(RX)
  BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(RX)
  Mandatory Label\High Mandatory Level:(OI)(NP)(IO)(NW)

--
David Macek