Re: [TESTERS needed] New POSIX permission handling

On Apr 11 10:11, donmez wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote
> > Hi folks,
> >

> > I just applied a patch I'm working on for quite some time now.  As I
> > outlined before on this list, the POSIX permission handling has aged
> > considerably and, for historical reasons, did things differently
> > dependent on the calling function.  I took the time to reimplement the
> > core functionality to handle all ACLs as strictly following POSIX ACL
> > rules as possible.
>
> I tested the updated package and at least quilt and mutt seems to broken by
> the permission changes:
>
> [~]> quilt new foo
> cat: /tmp/quilt.mwTVWM: Permission denied
> Patch patches/foo is now on top
>
> And running mutt results in:
>
> "Error creating temporary file /tmp/mutt-...."
>
> Rolling back to an older snapshot fixes the problem.

Thanks, but...

No offense, but this is not overly helpful.  The problem is to learn
*why* this happens and how to fix it.  For that I'd need to know what
your permissions on /tmp look like (ls -l, getfacl, icacls).  Creating
files in my /tmp (having an old-style ACL) with the following
permissions works as desired for me:

  $ uname -rm
  2.0.0(0.287/5/3) x86_64
  $ ls -ld /tmp
  drwxrwxrwt+ 1 corinna vinschen 0 Apr 12 10:25 /tmp
  $ getfacl /tmp
  # file: /tmp
  # owner: corinna
  # group: vinschen
  # flags: --t
  user::rwx
  group::rwx
  mask:rwx
  other:rwx
  default:user::rwx
  default:group::r-x
  default:mask:r-x
  default:other:r-x

  $ icacls C:\\cygwin64\\tmp
  C:\cygwin64\tmp VINSCHEN\corinna:(F)
		  VINSCHEN\vinschen:(RX,W)
		  Everyone:(RX,W)
		  NULL SID:(RD)
		  CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
		  CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
		  Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)

  Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
  $ touch /tmp/foo
  $ ls -l /tmp/foo
  -rw-r--r-- 1 corinna vinschen 0 Apr 12 10:25 /tmp/foo
  $ getfacl /tmp/foo
  # file: /tmp/foo
  # owner: corinna
  # group: vinschen
  user::rw-
  group::r-x
  mask:r--
  other:r--

  $ icacls C:\\cygwin64\\tmp\\foo
  C:\cygwin64\tmp\foo NULL SID:(DENY)(Rc,S,X,DC)
		      VINSCHEN\corinna:(R,W,D,WDAC,WO)
		      VINSCHEN\vinschen:(DENY)(S,X)
		      VINSCHEN\vinschen:(RX)
		      Everyone:(R)

  Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
  $

Corinna

Red Hat