Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Tcl/Tk 8.5.18

> I feel that forcing users to install X11 just to run a 338 KB gitk script is a
> bad idea.

That's what I thought too, therefore I implemented a dual
mode: If Tcl/Tk is compiled from sources in the unix
directory, both X11 and GDI support are compiled in.
If the $DISPLAY variable is set, X11 mode is
assumed, otherwise GDI mode. That's what
available upstream now.

It's true that some hacks were required to accomplish
this, but the good new is that it simply works, If you
want the details, I presented them
in the EuroTcl 2013 conference. Pity that
Yaakov doesn't appreciate that, but anyone
who does can just compile Tcl/Tk from
sources in UNIX mode (which is different
from mingw-w64 mode, since cygwin1.dll
is still used as runtime).

> On Wed, 2015-05-20 at 22:22 -0500, Steven Penny wrote:
>> By June 2012 I had found a workaround for using GDI instead of X11
>
> In other words, use MinGW-w64 instead of Cygwin.  That's your choice,
> but this list is about *using* Cygwin, not how *not* to use it, so this
> is off-topic.

My suggestion would be to compile Tcl/Tk from sources. On
cygwin64, configure with --enable-64bit, otherwise the links
with the GDI part won't work !!!!!

Feedback is appreciated, at least on comp.lang.tcl

Regards,
          Jan Nijtmans