Re: ACL Hell

On 07/15/2015 04:32 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Sky Diver!

Hi, in the past several months or so, cygwin started giving me ACL
pain in small surges which are gradually growing..

Here's a basic scenario that is slowly, but surely, driving me NUTZ:

$ ln -s /cygdrive/c/tmp /tmp
ln: failed to create symbolic link â/tmpâ: Operation not permitted

Are you running with superadmin credentials?
Unlike Linux, Windows doesn't let regular users make symlinks.

Well, we're missing the cygcheck information from the OP (see the problem
report guidelines at this link - <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>) to know
if he's set one of the non-default modes of creating symlinks (see
<https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#pathnames-symlinks>).  The
default method for creating Cygwin symlinks wouldn't require elevated
permissions.  If this is the issue, then the solution is to either
create symlinks with elevated permissions or to use the default symlink
mode which works even without the elevated permissions.

--
Larry