Re: X: Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified

Greetings, cyg Simple!

>>> Is there anything unusual about your home directory?
>>>

>> Well, we use roaming profiles here at work. This has caused problems
>> before, both in Cygwin and non-Cygwin apps. I've modified
>> /usr/bin/startxwin like this:
>>
>> $ diff /usr/bin/startxwin.orig /usr/bin/startxwin
>> 138c138,139
>> <         XAUTHORITY=$HOME/.Xauthority
>> ---
>>> #        XAUTHORITY=$HOME/.Xauthority
>>>         XAUTHORITY=/cygdrive/c/localdata/<username>/.Xauthority
>>
>> i.e. it now uses a local drive to store .Xauthority. With this change,
>> startxwin works without a hitch, and it is not any slower compared to
>> before the upgrade. I don't know what is particularly broken about my
>> $HOME as most Cygwin apps deal with it just fine:
>>
>> $ cygpath -w $HOME
>>

> Corinna made changes which invalidates this value form for HOME existing
> in Windows environment.  We've been arguing against the change.  This is
> another example of why it should be left the way it has worked since day 1.

You're confusing yourself and those around you.
Corinna discussed the changes that may invalidate passing networked %HOME%
from Windows to Cygwin, but not Cygwin's own setting of $HOME to a network
location.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin