Re: vim 7.4 spontaneously changes the working file

On 2015-08-10, grimpen wrote:
> i have just done a fresh reinstall of cygwin.
>
> now vim is misbehaving:
> for every file i open with vim, vim usually changes the 1st character of
> the 1st line to "g".
> more exactly, if the 1st line is empty, vim makes no change,
> if the 1st line contains only blanks, vim changes the last blank to "g"
> if the 1st line contains blanks followed by a nonblank, vim changes the
> nonblank to "g"
> if the 1st line starts with a nonblank, vim changes the nonblank to "g"
>
> running vim, the change happens right off;
> running view, vim announces
>   W10: warning: changing a readonly file
> makes the change after 1 second, then on close announces
>   E45: 'readonly' option is set (add ! to override)
>
> what can be the cause?
>
> $ vim --version
> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4 (2013 Aug 10, compiled Jun 29 2015 18:46:33)
> Included patches: 1-764
> Compiled by <cygwin@cygwin.com>
> Huge version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):

I think the cause is a bug that was introduced at patch 757 and
resolved with patches 766 and 770.

The real solution is to update to some version of Vim at least as
recent as 7.4.770.  In the mean time, I think that you may be able
to work around the problem by adding this to your ~/.vimrc:

    set t_RB=

I think that will disable the feature added at Vim patch 7.4.757
that queries the terminal for its background color and will prevent
the problematic escape sequence from being sent to your terminal.

Regards,
Gary