Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Early Deprecation Notice: Windows XP and Server 2003 support

http://classicshell.net

Mostly anyway: https://fix10.isleaked.com/

> > Their recent "security" patch that put machines in an endless reboot cycle
> > shows the company still hasn't focused on quality or customer needs instead
> > of corporate profits.  Win10 has no new innovations that customers need, few
> > if any actual security improvements, and a huge price tag in terms of
> > upgrades, expensive services, and retraining.  I'll stick with Win XP for a
> > while longer then switch to open source products and Linux when I must.  In
> > the mean time, I guess I will have to say a sad good-bye to Cygwin when they
> > leave.

I'm sorry to hear that (even if Linux is the perfect replacement), but
from a maintainance perspective, XP and 2003 are a real PITA.  They are
full of bugs on the OS level, some of them (on XP) builtin security
exploits.  They are especially missing *lots* of functionality added
with Vista/2008.  I'm not talking about functionality on the
user-visible level, those left me cold, too.  I'm talking about the
underlying Win32 API level.  The step from the 5.x to the 6.x kernels
was a major improvement, but a good amount of that new stuff is not used
in Cygwin because XP.

I'm really sorry if that's a problem for you, but I will be very glad to
finally get rid of that millstone around Cygwin's neck.

> Unfortulately I think I'm bound to windows which is all malware anyway
> since1991 ;)

Heh.

Corinna

Red Hat