Re: Group Permissions on root folders problem (Windows 10 TP build 10061)

On 2015-09-05 02:59, Takashi Yano wrote:
Hi Corinna,

Is there any progress regarding this problem?

I recently encountered the same situation. After some trials,
I found this problem occurs if the account, on which cygwin
setup is executed, is a Microsoft account. This does not occur
if the account is a local account.
I'm getting an errors saying unknown user win-g71n7drq4r6+cyg_server
at the point of setting the password, the password expiry and
assigning permissions.
<SNIP />
This is a domain member machine, yes?

*** Info: This script plans to use 'cyg_server'.
*** Info: 'cyg_server' will only be used by registered services.
*** Query: Create new privileged user account
I don't know why this occurs.  As you can see above, it works for me.
<SNIP />

This is a completely new setup with the Cygwin distro updated to the
latest?  csih 0.9.8-6?  cygwin-2.0.4-1?

Corinna

Red Hat
Possibly related, or perhaps a totally different bug.

On a Windows-10 host: when I use Cygwin *chown***or *chmod *to make permission changes, the next time I access the folder-tree from Windows Explorer Security tab, it complains that the Access Control List is incorrectly ordered and that will cause undesirable results; happy to say, it gives me the chance to re-order the ACL. The usual undesirable result is that an app can create a folder /New/ within /T/ but cannot create anything within /T/////New/.

Hypothesis: we are indirectly(?) modifying the ACL but are not observing whatever Windows expects for ordering. I know that Windows enforces "*deny*" rules before any "*allow*" rules; I do not know what other ordering it observes. I do know that Windows doesn't really consider the "group" property the same way POSIX does, FWIW.