Re: Cygwin 32bit: Can't use gcc -mfpmath=sse

On 9/11/2015 8:03 AM, HK wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 10:16:56 +0200, Evgeny Grin <k2k@yandex.ru> wrote:

>>> Yep, that did the trick. Thanks for the suggestion. Now, is this a gcc
>>> build
>>> build problem? The 64bit version doesn't need -march=native and that
>>> is on
>>> the same computer.
>>
>> It's not a problem as by default GCC generate code compatible with
>> maximum number of CPU models.
>> If you need to generate an SSE instructions, you have to use at lest
>> -march=pentium3.
>> For x86-64 version, SSE is always enabled as all x86-64 CPUs support
>> SSE and SSE2.
>> See http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/x86-Options.html#x86-Options
>
> Thanks. While I don't quite agree with the choice of defaults it makes
> sense.
> So does my 32bit window next to the 64bit window on the same computer
> really
> have a different instruction set? Anyway, case closed.
Intel compilers made SSE2 the default even for 32-bit mode, subsequent
to all CPUs which supported 387 but not SSE3 going out of production.
There's still a lot of interest in 387 mode, however.
You might argue for making SSE3 the default, but it's generally
important nowadays to set an appropriate option for the target platforms.

--
Tim Prince