Re: cygwin potentially corrupting permissions?

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Linda Walsh <cygwin@tlinx.org> wrote:
> Greg Freemyer wrote:
>>

>> Totally logical, but not accurate. )
>
> ---
>         What does it say if you do an 'lsacl' on "." (the parent directory).

$ ./lsacl.sh .
[u::---,g::---,g:root:rwx,g:Authenticated
Users:rwx,g:SYSTEM:rwx,g:Users:r-x,m:rwx,o:---/u::---,g::---,g:root:rwx,g:Authenticated
Users:rwx,g:SYSTEM:rwx,g:Users:r-x,m:rwx,o:---] .

But maybe this is interesting.  I just created 2 folders in C:\   .  I
did it at the C:\ level because I can't imagine I ever modified the
ACLs on C:\.

Anyway, one directory was created via "mkdir" in cygwin.  The other
via the file explorer.  Look at how different the ACLs are:

$ mkdir /cygdrive/c/Test-dir-created-in-cygwin

$ ./lsacl.sh /cygdrive/c/Test-dir-created-in-cygwin/
[u::rwx,g::r-x,g:root:rwx,g:Authenticated
Users:rwx,g:SYSTEM:rwx,g:Users:r-x,m:rwx,o:r-x/u::rwx,g::r-x,g:root:rwx,g:Authenticated
Users:rwx,g:SYSTEM:rwx,g:Users:r-x,m:rwx,o:r-x]
/cygdrive/c/Test-dir-created-in-cygwin/

$ ./lsacl.sh /cygdrive/c/Test-dir-created-in-file-explorer/
[u::---,g::---,g:root:rwx,g:Authenticated
Users:rwx,g:SYSTEM:rwx,g:Users:r-x,m:rwx,o:---/u::---,g::---,g:root:rwx,g:Authenticated
Users:rwx,g:SYSTEM:rwx,g:Users:r-x,m:rwx,o:---]
/cygdrive/c/Test-dir-created-in-file-explorer/

What's that about?  Again I'm not expert at ACLs, but the ACLs on the
directory created via File Explorer look really strange to me.

>         This is a local file system?  NTFS?

Yes, C: drive. It's my local system drive on both computers and NTFS
on both machines.

> Do you have process hacker?  Maybe the writing process has a different
> integrity label or such.

No, but let me know if you still want me to pursue that.  For now I'm
thinking the ACLs on folders created via File Explorer are somehow
getting screwed up.

Thanks
Greg