Re: compile ncurses "hello world" to run independent of cygwin?

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 7:48 AM, cyg Simple <cygsimple@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/1/2015 11:09 PM, Darik Horn wrote:
>>
>> Unless there is a specific reason to cross through Cygwin, it could be
>> easier to use the native MinGW environment directly:
>>
>> * http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started
>>

> Poppycock! There is no reason that the user couldn't use Cygwin as the
> one and only system to build native binaries.

I'm relatively new to this mailing list.  Apologies if this is well
covered ground....

The last time I checked (a few years ago), my understanding was the
cygwin dll's were licensed such that any programs using them had to be
GPL (or equivalent).

Is that wrong?

If so, anyone wanting to write a commercial tool has to avoid the
cygwin's core dll's.

Does using mingw do so?

Thanks
Greg