Re: Cygwin DLL V2.3.0 on XP 64-bit professional not working at all

Am 12.11.2015 um 13:33, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Nov 12 11:53, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
Hi Georg,

On Nov 12 02:27, Georg Rehfeld wrote:
Dear all,

since yesterday I had a working Cygwin 32 running (since years) on my
XP 64 prof box. When I tried to update tonight I got errors in post
install (see below) and afterwards I could not start any cygwin
program, not even bash or grep (tried from a cmd prompt), without any
error message. After trying to reinstall from different mirrors,
rebooting several times I finally uninstalled cygwin completely as of
the FAQ (except for my cygwin/home/*) and installed a fresh base.
Without success.

*** 32bit, Setup version 2.873:

Postinstall script errors (same as with my previous update attempt:
-----
Package: 0/Perpetual
	0p_000_autorebase.dash exit code -1073741819
Package: _/base-cygwin

Thanks for the report.  I could reproduce the problem on 64 bit XP and
64 bit Server 2003 and applied a patch.  I will upload a fixed 2.3.1
probably this weekend.

I just uploaded a developer snapshot to https://cygwin.com/snapshots/
Maybe you'd like to give it a try.  Installing only the cygwin1.dll from
http://cygwin.com/snapshots/x86/cygwin1-20151112.dll.xz is sufficent
(but keep a backup of your current cygwin1.dll, just in case).

Thanks,
Corinna

Thanks Corinna for the immediate fix. Essentially it seems to work.

*** What I did (possibly I've done something wrong) and the outcome:

1. downloaded/extracted the new cygwin1.dll and noted, that it is only
   2.6MB; saved the old one (3.3MB) and copied the new one over the old
   one in my restored Cygwin. Did a short test: everything fine.

2. started the Setup 32bit, updated 40 packages or so. Obviously the
   cygwin1.dll was in the update (was again 3.3MB) ... so same/similar
   post install errors as before.

3. copied the snapshot DLL again and redid the setup. This time 0
   packages to update, but the post install ran smoothly (needed
   considerable time) except for this message:
   -----
   Package: _/Unknown package
            xinit.sh exit code 3
   -----

I consider this harmless, because my X install was not OK from the
beginning and I don't need it really (have to uninstall soon).

I can start bash as usual (from within TotalCommander). All other
commands/scripts I tested seem to work smoothly.

So IMHO the patch was successful.

Many thanks again, Georg
--
  ___   ___