Re: startx doesn't seem to work

> On my Win7 machine with a newly installed cygwin-64 installed via
>     setup-x86_64.exe with everything default except xinit and xorg-server
>     selected running startx from a terminal window opens a full screen window
>     and then dies. A search of startx fails in the mail archives didn't turn up
>     any thing much. Can someone suggest what I'm doing wrong please?
>
>     This is what appears in the cygwin terminal window when it dies.
>
>     Peter Van Epp
>
>     $ startx
>     xauth:  file /home/Owner/.Xauthority does not exist
>     xauth:  file /home/Owner/.Xauthority does not exist
> try startxwin

Similar result but not even a window this time. As well the same thing happens
(or doesn't happen) on three different machines with three different graphic
cards and different OSes (Win7 pro on this machine, Win10 pro on another,
and Win 7 home premium on the third). I've only loaded xorg-servers xinit and
xterm in addition to the basic and then loaded the dependencies it found, but
it originally failed with a bunch more packages loaded for geda. I'd expect
that this should just work (it has in the past for me) but not right now.
The error message is slightly different though:

winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winMultiWindowXMsgProcErrorHandler - ERROR: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

at this point it just hangs in the cygwin terminal window until I hit control-c.
>From another cygwin terminal the log file has a bit more information:

cat /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log

[  2774.914] OS maintains clipboard viewer chain: yes
[  2774.914] winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
[  2774.914] winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
[  2774.914] winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
[  2776.068] winMultiWindowXMsgProcErrorHandler - ERROR: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
[  2918.731] winClipboardProc - winClipboardFlushWindowsMessageQueue trapped WM_QUIT message, exiting main loop.
[  2918.731] winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.
[  2918.731] winClipboardIOErrorHandler!
[  2918.731] winMultiWindowXMsgProcIOErrorHandler!
[  2918.731] winInitMultiWindowXMsgProc - Caught IO Error.  Exiting.
[  2918.778] winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress
[  2918.778] (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

	Hopefully this suggest something to someone (because it isn't to me :-))

Peter Van Epp