Setup and proxy user/password

Within about the last week, something apparently changed so setup now fails to download setup.ini, and updates stop there. I suspect tightening of company proxy, firewall or etc. Mail list old posts mention setup asking for user/password, but I don't recall seeing that; it just worked, with proxy/port set. Browser or wget can access the mirrors, having appropriate proxy settings including user/password in browser or .wgetrc. I've downloaded copies of installed programs from the mirror, with wget -r, but can't get setup to install updates (assuming there are some in the last week or so). Any help getting setup to work through the proxy, or with local files, would be appreciated.