Re: Cygwin-2.5.0 net share wbadmin no longer working post update

Alexandria Gutierrez writes:
> On the original script I am using -backuptarget=\\\\SERVERNAME\\PATH\\TO\\SHARE
> to avoid the use of quotes. I have several cygwin version installed
> across multiple windows nodes. All of them work correctly.

That only takes care of the first level of quote removal and escape
processing.  This already takes place on the Linux box where you send
the command.  The command sent through ssh will consequently come out as
-backuptarget=\\SERVERNAME\PATH\TO\SHARE on the other side.  This gets
again processed by some shell (whatever you've configured as the login
shell for your user that ssh logs in as and also the shell the user runs
on the local machine).  So, depending on how exactly things are
configured, you'll likely end up with something like
-backuptarget=\SERVERNAMEPATHTOSHARE (the single backslashes might stay
in some cases).

> On the 2 new cygwin-2.5.0 nodes using the same script (already working
> with 2.4.0 and older) does not work. One was a cygwin upgrade, and the
> other was a clean install.

You seem to be relying on some side effect / configuration that is
present on the older installs, but not the newer.  The difference is
most likely what the system determines as your passwd entry and any
startup scripts that user may have.  Also, it makes a difference of
whether you request a TTY for the ssh process or not.

> Just as an update, even if I connect directly via ssh to the node and
> and run either:
>
> /cygdrive/c/windows/Sysnative/wbadmin START BACKUP -user:USERNAME
> -password:PASSWORD -backuptarget:'\\SERVERNAME\PATH\TO\SHARE'
> -allCritical -systemstate -quiet
> or
> /cygdrive/c/windows/Sysnative/wbadmin START BACKUP -user:USERNAME
> -password:PASSWORD -backuptarget:\\\\SERVERNAME\\PATH\\TO\\SHARE
> -allCritical -systemstate -quiet

Since it seems you really need two levels of quotes and the wbadmin
command does not need to have quotes in it (just guessing, and it may
actually need another pair of quotes if the path contains spaces), maybe

-backuptarget:"'\\SERVERNAME\PATH\TO\SHARE'"

is enough.

> it does not work. I do understand what you mean that SSH will strip
> the quotes.

If you want to see the command line that ssh gets, you
can add "-v" to the invocation.  If you want to see what gets run on the
other side, try some variant of

ssh -v user@host /bin/procps -elfww\; your_command

Regards,
Achim.