Can I eliminate diagnostic messages from cp

I use cp as my backup tool from disk to USB. There are maybe 40,000 files involved and each one has a message of "cp: preserving permissions for <file>â: Not supported". These messages slow down the backup and obscure meaningful faults. Is there any option for removing the messages?

My command line is: cp <directory> /<usb>

thanks
art