Re: 32 bit lib dirs on cygwin64, advice sought

On May 29, 2016, at 6:30 PM, Jason Pyeron <jpyeron@pdinc.us> wrote:

> I feel I am making things way too complicated.

Yes. :)

> I have a Makefile, which is building a static library [1] in both 32 and 64
> bit.

Donât do that.  The 32-bit and 64-bit Cygwins are fundamentally incompatible:

  http://stackoverflow.com/a/18333049

If you must do 32- and 64-bit Cygwin development on a single machine, itâs best to have separate 32- and 64-bit Cygwin installations which do not share any files.

Iâll add one exception to that, which is that it is fine to share a tree for building packages with cygport between two Cygwins since it knows how to segregate the build products for you.  It is possible to do this by hand, too, but itâs enough of a hassle that you could easily skip a step and end up commingling binaries of different word size, causing yourself problems.