Re: Windows 10/Cygwin setup.exe error - IO Error Opening File:

Greetings, Jenny Pawlak!

> 5.  Cygwin setup works for maybe a minute and then gives the first of
> many, many pop-up messages "IO Error Opening
> file....._autorebase/binutils/cygwin/grep/mintty etc. Do you want to
> skip this package?"

Your AV blocks Cygwin rebasing.
Either tell it to behave or remove it.

> When I browse to indicated directory I find a *.tmp file in that
> location  (e.g. base-files-4.2-4.tar.xz.tmp 44KB) and that the full
> file was never fully downloaded.

> I can abort setup.exe with the TaskManager and then re-run it again
> and sometimes get a little bit further before getting the "IO Error
> Opening file" message but, so far, I am unable to install an operable
> Cygwin.

> I'd appreciate any help.

> Thanks for taking the time to read this.

> Jenny

> PS:  I have recently installed several unrelated programs from the
> Internet without incident (e.g. git bash, notepad++).

Your AV is not suitable for a developer. That simple.
It blocks write access to executable files without your consent.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...