Re: Windows Subsystem For Linux

On 8/29/2016 7:15 AM, Ray Donnelly wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Schwarz, Konrad
> <konrad.schwarz@siemens.com> wrote:
>> So I was wondering if the Windows Subsystem For Linux, apparently part of Windows 10 Anniversary Update, obsoletes Cygwin.
>>
> That seems a *little* inflammatory to me. Since Windows Subsystem for
> Linux can't inter-operate with Windows very well, no it doesn't.
Although the Ubuntu subsystem doesn't provide a current gcc, it's
possible to build one now in the Anniversary version.  Attempting to run
the g++ testsuite hangs the subsystem, requiring a reboot.  It is
possible to run other individual test suites in parallel in separate
bash sessions, unlike under cygwin.
I've been wondering whether any conclusions might be drawn from the
relative performance of cygwin and linux subsystem.  Disk and internet
access appear slow in the subsystem, but math functions and OpenMP seem
to perform better under linux.
As Win10 works on only one of my 3 Windows installations (the oldest
box), it doesn't look to be a replacement any time soon. For just one
example, the Ubuntu vim isn't nearly as convenient as I've become used to.