Re: More cygwin installations

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru> wrote:
> Greetings, Silver Zachara!
>
>> can i install cygwin multiple times to different folders? E.g.
>> c:\cygwin64, c:\cygwin64_x_test1, c:\cygwin64_x_test2
>
>> I want to know, if there will not be any collisions or something similar.
>> Or there have to be only one cygwin installation?
>
> You MAY use multiple parallel installations. But it is least advisable for
> people unfamiliar with environment, clashes may occur and you would have a
> hard(-er) time figuring them out.

I don not see such big risk with multiple installations.
Basic rules appliy:
- separate PATH between the diffent installations.
 defining CYGWIN_NOWINPATH help on it
- don't mix services as they will be called all in the same way by
  the different installation.

> If you indeed need test installations, a virtual machine is the better route,
> IMO.

Usually if Virtual Machines are possible there are less motives to use cygwin;
people developing for cygwin are of course the exception.

> With best regards,
> Andrey Repin

Regards Marco