Re: setup.exe : proxy auto-configuration script without IE ?

On 27/09/16 03:24, Linda Walsh wrote:
What makes you think it is downloaded into the IE disk cache?
I don't think it should be -- as AFAIK, it doesn't use IE to download
anything

setup using IE to do its downloading is a bad idea. But, that got me thinking, so allow me a crazy thought. AFAIK, Cygwin's setup can't use a HTTPS mirror [1]. Given the desire to move more and more web traffic onto HTTPS, would an option to download through IE be a cheap way to add HTTPS support to setup?

Dave.

[1] Such as https://mirrorservice.org/sites/sourceware.org/pub/cygwin/ (which has a HTTP equivalent, I know...)