Re: Cygwin Setup - Choose Best Mirror Automatically for Automated / Silent Installs

On 19/11/2016 01:48, OwN-3m-All wrote:
I'm not running Windows Defender or any software for that matter on my
test instance of Server 2008.

I tried running GDB, but the setup executable doesn't have any
debugging symbols.  Is there a download link somewhere for the latest
compiled cygwin setup that includes these symbols?

Sorry, this isn't available...

GNU gdb (GDB) 7.7.50.20140303-cvs
This binary was built by Equation Solution <http://www.Equation.com>...
Reading symbols from setup-x86_64.exe...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb)

... and even if it was, this wouldn't work because the distributed setup executable is packed with UPX, and gdb doesn't understand what that does to the process memory map.

I won't be able to debug it further unless I have that... I guess.

I'm afraid you will probably have to build setup from source to debug further (See [1])

[1] https://cygwin.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-apps/setup.git;a=blob;f=README