Re: silent option not silencing cURL error

On 2016-11-30 20:00, Steven Penny wrote:
>     $ curl --version
>     curl 7.51.0
> Piping cURL to head gives me an error, as expected:
>     $ curl https://github.com/github | head
>     [...]
>     (23) Failed writing body
> However adding the silent option, is not silencing it:
>     $ curl --silent https://github.com/github | head
>     [...]
>     (23) Failed writing body
> I can quiet the error with:
>     curl https://github.com/github 2>/dev/null | head
> but silent should be taking care of this. Note the Windows version
> here works as expected:
> http://bintray.com/vszakats/generic/curl
> cross post:
> http://stackoverflow.com/q/40901579/silent-option-not-silencing-curl-error

This is a common problem: not handling a closed pipe silently.
Testing curl on WSL/UfW and Debian does not give this error.
This may be a regression in the newer Cygwin curl version 7.51 vs older
UfW 7.35 and Debian 7.38, or it could be a design decision.
See if has been reported upstream at curl.haxx.se, and report it if not.
Using | sed '10q' also gives the error.
You can work around it using | awk 'NR<=10', | awk -vn=10 'NR<=n', or