Re: Installer request: Remember state of final checkboxes between runs

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 5:27 PM, cyg Simple <cygsimple@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/13/2017 10:14 AM, Brian Mathis wrote:
>> Every time the installer is run, it asks to create an icon on the
>> desktop.  I do not want an icon on my desktop, and I have to uncheck
>> this box every time.  I have probably done this 100 times since I've
>> been using Cygwin over the years.
>>

> You only need to check the boxes on initial install.
>
>> The installer should remember that this option was declined and
>> default the checkbox to that state on the next run.
>>

> They are not checked by default because you only need to create them
> once.  You don't need to create them on update unless you've removed the
> shortcuts created.
>
> --
> cyg Simple

No, this is not correct.  If you run the install and DEselect to
create icons, it will ask you to create them again next time.  It's
only doing a simple check if files exist to determine if the box is
checked.  If the files don't exist, then is asks to create them, so
there is no way to say "never create icons".

The only way it doesn't ask to create them is if they're already
there, which is no help to people who never want them.