Re: Clueless! sshd ONLY fails at system startup (XP/SP3) -- FOLLOWUP

On 2017-05-26 00:23, Houder wrote:
> On 2017-05-25 23:21, Houder wrote:
>> On 2017-05-25 17:36, Houder wrote:
>>> YES, I know, XP is NOT supported anymore ... However, I started
>>> out on XP ... and it has sshd running as a Window service,
>>>     installed and configured (as approved by Corinna :-)
>>> ... some time ago I may have upgraded openssh over there (yes, I
>>> am now running W7) ... I cannot really remember. Yes, sometimes I
>>> visit (ssh) the "old station" (XP) for info that I am missing.
>>> (both machines are behind a firewall - rest assured)
>>> "Suddenly" (yesterday?) I noticed that the "sshd daemon" fails;
>>> it is started at system startup (i.e. an automatic service).
>> Ahem ... it should have rephrased that ... however, from the error
>> report in the sshd.log, it should be clear that the daemon fails as
>> soon as it receives its first "ssh" request ... (and not before).
> Give me a break!
> Just now I decided to UNinstall the F-Secure anti-virus ...
> And guess what ...? Yes, NOW sshd replies again to requests after system
> startup!
> Now I wonder if I will find the same result on W7 when I install openssh.
> (yes, W7 also has F-Secure anti-virus installed).
> Anyone using F-Secure on W7 and operating the sshd?

For Win7 MS Defender, MS Security Essentials (MSE - free MS download),
and Windows Firewall were not BLODAs for me, all others were, but you
still have to open up required ports in routers, Firewall, and any
security products, and/or enable apps to receive. It can be a pain.

Does F-n-Secure have firewall or port block features - many have?
Allow port 22 in (or your selection, and from selected hosts or
networks, if it can be limited).