Re: Is it possible to compile / run ntp utilities in cygwin

On 2017-05-30 14:47, Cary Lewis wrote:
>  it possible to build ntp under cygwin?
> I am getting errors compiling:
> make[3]: Entering directory '/home/clewis/ntp-4.2.8p10/libntp'
>   CC       iosignal.o
> iosignal.c: In function =E2=80=98init_clock_sig=E2=80=99:
> iosignal.c:87:22: error: =E2=80=98I_SETSIG=E2=80=99 undeclared (first use i=
> n this function)
>    if (ioctl(rio->fd, I_SETSIG, S_INPUT) < 0)
> iosignal.c:87:22: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> for each function it appears in
> iosignal.c:87:32: error: =E2=80=98S_INPUT=E2=80=99 undeclared (first use in=
>  this function)
>    if (ioctl(rio->fd, I_SETSIG, S_INPUT) < 0)

NTP builds against BSD or GNU libc, and variants such as AIX, HPUX,
Solaris, with autotools, guile, OpenSSL, and other devel dependencies by
platform.
RTEMS has an NTP package that builds with their platform and newlib.
NTP, Cygwin, and newlib may need a lot of patches for Cygwin and Windows
interfaces, possibly autoconf tests, to get a working build.

Start by loading the stable distro source, the above tools and
libraries, and related devel packages.
With a minimal Cygwin and Windows PATH, run the bootstrap script in the
distro source directory, which touches a bunch of generated files which
may only be safely rebuilt using specific tools, then runs autoreconf.

If that works, again with a minimal Cygwin and Windows PATH, run the
build script in the stable distro source directory, then look in the
build subdirectory A.x86{,_64}-unknown-cygwin2.<ver>/ for config.log and
make.log, and address any issues.

There is also a ports directory which contains the configuration files
and custom Windows interfaces, to build the service and utilities using
VS (Express) and Windows OpenSSL IIRC.
A prebuilt Windows service and utilities binary installer package,
including OpenSSL if it is required, is available from the Meinberg web
site.
If you just want to run the package and utilities and gain experience
with the package, that is the quickest path under Windows.