Re: Proper way to run emacs from desktop

On 01/11/2017 21:57, David Karr wrote:
On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
On 11/1/2017 1:08 PM, David Karr wrote:
I install Cygwin every couple of years and then use it continuously
without updates between those installations.  I installed it on a new
laptop today, and I'm trying to work through issues.

The current issue is running Emacs from the desktop.

I had a shortcut working for a long time that does the following:
-------------
C:\cygwin64\bin\run2.exe --display 127.0.0.1:0.0 /usr/local/bin/emacs.xml

Just '--display :0.0' is probably better, as it won't stop working when the Xserver is run without '-listen tcp'...

The "run2" application doesn't appear to exist.  I checked my notes,
and I can't tell whether I installed this from somewhere else the last
time I did this.

Just install the run2 package.  It's still available.

Ok.  I find the search facility in setup somewhat confusing.  I
couldn't find it before. I found it now, and I've installed it.

You can also search using e.g. https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=run2.exe&arch=x86_64