Re: Need help with multibyte UTF-8 characters

On 2017-12-04 18:23, Thomas Taylor wrote:
> I want to use multibyte UTF-8 characters in 64-bit Cygwin under Windows 7.  The
> "vim" editor running in mintty displays the two-byte characters correctly, but
> not the three- (and I assume four-) byte characters, which instead display as
> rectangular filled-in blocks.  The "less" program doesn't even display two-byte
> characters correctly, but instead displays them as <A1> to <FF>, depending on
> the character in question, in reverse color in the terminal window.  The "cat"
> program is even worse, replacing every two-byte character with a character that
> looks like three horizontal bars stacked one above the other.  I've read the
> "Internationalization" page in the Cygwin online manual, but am still baffled.
> My LANG environment variable is set to "en_US.UTF-8".  Can anyone help?

Your Windows Regional settings and your mintty/Options/Text/Language and
Character Set should be set to match.
The profile commands below set Cygwin locale to your Windows Regional settings
and charset to UTF-8, or Unix locale to your system locale.
Otherwise your system or mintty is going to be doing conversions on each character.

# Set user-defined locale
locale -fU > /dev/null 2>&1     \
        && LC_ALL=$(locale -fU) \
        || LC_ALL=$(locale |    \
                sed '/^LANG=\|^LC_CTYPE=\|^LC_ALL=/{s///;h};$!d;x;s/"//g')