Re: csih-0.1.6 available for testing [Was: Re: CSIH patch (Re: Unable to run sshd ...)]

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 03:22:54PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Aug 18 09:15, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >No worries. I've been using MS' 'free' virtual pc images
>> >http://tinyurl.com/yd8st9
>> >
>> >to do my 1.7 testing, but my last one expired and I was dreading
>> >re-configuring that setup with the refreshed image. But, I finally bit
>> >the bullet, so...
>> >
>> >'Course, this one expires in "early September". Sigh.
>>
>> I've been using virtualbox recently.  It's totally free (although there
>> is a commercial component*) and pretty snappy, at least on linux.
>>
>> http://virtualbox.org/
>
>Are you using a HPET enabled Linux kernel(*)?  Did you ever encounter
>spurious hangs of the VM (sometimes up to 5 minutes) with virtualbox?

So far, I've only used virtualbox with Windows XP (and soon FreeBSD) so
I don't know about Linux.  In windows there are ACPI problems that
require you to do some creative things if you are using an old vmware
image.  I don't know if there are similar issues for linux though.

After spending hours "converting" my vmware images to virtualbox format
I found that newer versions of virtualbox run vmware images directly
with no modification.  The only inconvenience is that snapshots don't
work but that is apparently going to be fixed soon.  That's good because
I miss being able to do snapshots.

So, sorry, I don't know.  It might be worth a try, though.  It's
possible that a linux image will "just work".  There seems to be less
head-standing required in building modules for virtualbox than there is
for vmware.

I suspect that maybe we should continue this discussion in cygwin-talk,
though, since it's ranging into the tangentially-cygwin-related.

Reply-To set appropriately.

cgf