New Source Tarball and Windows Installer (was Re: Publicity Test Run)

Eric McDonald mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu
Sat Nov 13 23:23:00 GMT 2004

Hello Xconquerors,

(Release announcement at end of this message.)

Elijah Meeks wrote:
> After Eric's next release, I'm going to see how much
> attention I can get for XConq from a gaming
> perspective.  Nothing big, no slashdotting or anything
> (I agree with Coop that this should wait until 7.5),
> but just a few messages on a few boards about XConq
> and the various games one can play.

Go for it.

> To that end, I
> think we should tidy up the In Progress/Release list
> of games that show up when you start a new game, so
> that it puts the engine's best foot forward.  My
> initial votes go for the Standard Game, the various
> Advanced Games, my own AWLS, Opal and Star Fleet
> Battles, the Civ port and Galaxy 2.

Sounds reasonable. Did you ever get a chance to finish the graphics
update you were doing for the Wizards game?

>I'm not too
> familiar with the rest, but I think it'd be good to
> stabilize Bellum Aeternum

I have meaning to take BA off the "finished" list for months now. In the
  new prerelease that I am about to announce, that has finally been
done. Maybe some day (some day far, far away from now), I will be able
to sit down with BA II and release that instead. The original BA was
simply my GDL teething experience; it was never intended to be release
quality; the version string only indicated it was alpha or beta.

>and Wreckreation, because

Wreckreation was only a testbed. I was working on another version for a
while that would have been a real game. I don't believe that
Wreckreation even shows up in the "finished" games list in the Tcl/Tk
interface.

Anyway,
Release Announcement:

A new source tarball and Windows installer is available at the usual
location:
   http://xconq_hacker.home.comcast.net

A feature request and a bug report by "ryuuguu" have been addressed
since the 11/10 release of the Windows installer.
Also, a new image file that I may have forgotten to include in the
previous prerelease is now in this one. The new images are by
"gPETERsz", a talented artist who hangs out in the Xconq.org fora.

Enjoy,
   Eric