This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the cygwin project.
Re: why can't I post to .applications?
- From: Brian Dessent <brian at dessent dot net>
- To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 11:45:48 -0800
- Subject: Re: why can't I post to .applications?
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
Carl Karsten wrote:
> when trying to reply to a post: "Re: [ITP] Installation Profiles packages", I get
> "News(NNTP)error occurred:gmane.os.cygwin.applications is unidirectional." and yet
> I have posted "Re: where is setup.exe source?" to gmane.os.cygwin, gotten the
> confirmation email, replied, and it got posted.
Gmane is set up to not allow posting to cygwin-apps, at the request of
the list owner, whereas the main list does apparently allow posting. I
think this corresponds to the fact that you must be suscribed to post to
-apps but not the main list. (Is that still true? I don't know.)
But why are you asking here at not at Gmane? These are *email lists*,
not newsgroups, not web forums, and to post you send email to
<address>@cygwin.com. The fact that am unrelated third party happens to
run a email -> newsgroup gateway for these and a bazillion other lists
doesn't mean we have anything to do with its administration.